Oh man…Indian summers…just the very thought also gives me the chills!!
Unlike the western world, the Indian summer can be quite uninteresting. The blazing sun often leaves you drenched in sweat and one doesn’t find any comfort indoors too!
The people who can’t afford an air conditioner definitely find it challenging to survive through such baking hot summers. And those of you who can bear the expense of an air conditioner are also restricted to just one room as long as the scorcher lasts.
But, air coolers are here to save your bacon. They are not only pocket-friendly but eco-friendly too. Their castor wheels or trolleys makes them portable and can easily be taken to living areas or lobbies. So, next time you wouldn’t have to give it a second thought about calling your friends over even during summers and have a gala time together!
Make your way below to our list of best air coolers that can help you tackle the psychotic heat index. These handpicked air coolers have proved to be faves of the majority of people.
Our buying guide at the end of this article will enlighten you about the factors to look for while buying an air cooler.
Best Air Coolers in India
- Capacity: 36 Litres; Ideal for room size of upto 150 Sq Ft. Suitable for all climates and coastal regions
- Product dimensions (LxBxH): 45.5 cm x 43.5 cm x 82.0 cm, Brand contact- 1800 102 5963
- Honeycomb cooling media, easily removable pads; 3 Side cooling pad for enhanced performance
- Castor wheel for easy mobility. Cord effective length 1.5
- PRODUCT: Crompton's high performance portable desert air cooler with wood wool cooling pads and 3-way speed settings for air speed control
- TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: Capacity 75 L; Air delivery 4200 CMH; Air throw 52 ft.; Power 190 W; Operating voltage 230 V; Dimensions : 61 x 40.5 x 120 cm; Suitable for upto 550 sq. ft.Empty Tank Alarm : No
- ENHANCED AIR FLOW AND COOLING: Motorized and auto-swing louvres for 4-way air deflection; Water level indicator for easy monitoring
- INVERTER CAPABILITY: Relatively lower power requirement; Can run on inverter power
- Capacity: 12 liters; Coverage Area: Ideal for room size up to 12 square meters
- Cooling Media: Highly-effective honeycomb cooling pads, powerful blower and cool flow dispenser ensures superior cooling
- Technology: Powered by i-pure technology with multistage air purification filters such as allergy filter, bacteria filter, smell filter, PM 2.5 wash filter, and dust filter that delivers fresh and filtered cool air
- Powerful Pump: The exclusive dura-pump of Diet 12T ensures the longevity of the pump
- Sleek and Stylish Modular Design. Power 140W | Current: 1 Amp | High Glossy Rust Free Body
- High Air Delivery: 2250m3/hr. 3 Speed Control | Height: 74cm | Length: 23cm | Width: 28cm
- Powerful Air Throw: 25 feet (The product is not a cooler).
- Low Power Consumption | Voltage: 220~240V, 50/60Hz AC
- Capacity: Large 70 liters with empty tank alarm; Coverage Area: Ideal for room size up to 37 square meters
- Warranty: 1 year on manufacturing defects. Note: Warranty is applicable from the date of invoice
- Product Dimensions (L x B x H): 63.5 cm x 50 cm x 112.5 cm or 635mm x 500mm x 1,125 mm
- Cooling Media: Equipped with a powerful blower, 3-side high efficiency honeycomb cooling pads and cool flow dispenser which ensures superior cooling
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested to work and look like new with minimal to no signs of wear & tear; the product comes with relevant accessories and is backed by a minimum six month supplier backed warranty; box may be generic
- Capacity: Large 30 liters with empty tank alarm; Coverage Area: Ideal for room size up to 14 square meters. Auto Louver Movement : Yes
- Cooling Media: 3-side highly-effective honeycomb cooling pads and cool flow dispenser ensures superior 3D cooling
- Technology: Powered by i-pure technology with multistage air purification filters that deliver fresh and filtered cool air such as allergy filter, bacteria filter, smell filter, PM 2.5 wash filter, and dust filter
- Powerful Pump: The exclusive dura-pump of Diet 3D 30i ensures the longevity of the pump
- Capacity: Large 27 liters; Coverage Area: Ideal for room size up to 16 square meters. (Keep door/window open for cross ventilation & effective cooling)
- Cooling Media: Highly-effective honeycomb cooling pads on 3-sides and cool flow dispenser ensures superior cooling
- Technology: Powered by i-pure technology with multistage air purification filters such as allergy filter, bacteria filter, smell filter, PM 2.5 wash filter, and dust filter that deliver fresh and filtered cool air
- Powerful Pump: The exclusive dura-pump ensures the longevity of the pump
- Hexacool Technology : Specially Designed Cooling Media With Hexagonal Design, Delivering Maximum Cooling With Minimum Water Consumption
- Product Dimensions (Lxbxh): 44.5 Cm X 34.0 Cm X 78.0 Cm.Air Delivery Average (m3/hr.): 1000. Air Delivery Peak (m3/hr.):2600
- Typhoon Blower Technology : Blower Based Technology For Quick And Efficent Cooling
- Ice Chamber : Ice Compartments To Store Ice Cubes For Improved Cooling Experience
- EFFICIENT COOLING: Hydro-chill technology pulls in hot air through an evaporative air-cooling filter & turns it into cool, refreshing air instantly. Simply add water to the top fill water tank & press the button.
- AIR COOLER: The Arctic Air Ultra is a portable air conditioner that cools, humidifies & purifies. This personal space cooler features three fan speeds & a multi-directional air vent.
- QUIET & PORTABLE: The lightweight & whisper-quiet fan plus soothing night light make it perfect to use overnight for a comfortable sleep. Arctic Air Ultra is energy efficient & freon-free!
- Built-in LED mood Light - 7 different colors with color-cycle option
Best Air Cooler – Buying Guide
If you are caught between two stools in choosing the best air cooler for yourself or you are completely unaware as to what all should be sought in an air cooler then dip into our buying guide. This guide outlines all the components in exhaustive detail and will help you to decipher the best air cooler.
Types of air coolers
Air coolers are broadly classified into personal air coolers and desert air coolers. Further, personal air coolers are of two types, tower and room air coolers. Now we shall see in detail these three types of air coolers.
- Tower air coolers
Tower air coolers are designed in such a way that they can effectively cool the corners that the normal air coolers can’t approach. It’s tall, thin and compact structure complements the aesthetics of the modern rooms. It is effortlessly portable because of its castor wheels. Its sleek design can fit into any small room comfortably. Additionally, it is not priced too high.
- Room air coolers
As the name suggests, room air coolers are apt to be used inside a room without creating any space issues. These air coolers can be very conveniently moved around the house with the help of its castor wheels or by putting it on a wheeled trolley. It is best to use a room air cooler for places where the climate is not-too-hot and space is a problem. They are very light on the pocket.
- Desert air coolers
Desert air coolers absorb the air from outside and then provide the cool air inside the room. The functioning of fan in a desert air cooler is similar to that of an exhaust. So, it is required to fit them outside a window. They can easily be used to cool large areas and are well known for their better cooling efficiency as compared to its other counterparts. Since they are used to cool large areas, they definitely have a bigger size and can consume a lot of space. They also have a higher power and water consumption rate.
This is a crucial factor that needs to be considered while buying an air cooler. One must have in mind where essentially the air cooler needs to be placed in his/her home. Then you can easily decide on the type i.e desert, room or tower, which out of these air coolers you want to invest in. The dimensions of the air cooler should suit the size of your room. One can refer the description to know about how large an area can that air cooler cool. Merely saving a few bucks to buy a smaller sized air cooler can prove to be ineffective in a large room and leave you rotting in the heat.
The cooling pads are fitted at the sides of the air cooler. Air gets cooled when passed through these wet cooling pads. The thickness and the type of cooling pads have a major hand in boosting the performance of the air cooler. Their ideal thickness should be at least 90 mm. It is very important to look after the cleanliness of the cooling pads else the cooler starts throwing stinky air. There are two types of cooling pads to choose from:
- Honeycomb cooling pads
As the name implies, honeycomb cooling pads possess the structure like that of a honeycomb and are composed of cellulose material. They are quite durable and do not demand to be replaced frequently. The only downside is that they are a bit expensive as compared to the wood wool cooling pads.
- Aspen wood wool cooling pads
The wood wool cooling pads are made up of wood shavings synthetic fiber. They are a little less durable than its counterpart and require high maintenance. But, these cooling pads are very economical.
Air delivery or the cooling capacity of an air cooler refers to how much air can an air cooler move in each minute. The unit for calculating air delivery is CFM (cubic feet per minute). Higher the air delivery, more will be the air cycled by the air cooler inside a room. You can simply multiply the area of the room in square feet with the height of the ceiling and divide the product by 2 to find out the air delivery or air displacement of an air cooler.
Air delivery or Air displacement (in CFM) = (Area of room in square feet x height of your room )/ 2
(The factor 2 in the denominator indicates that the air in the room is changed once in every 2 minutes)
At times the air delivery rate is specified in cubic metre per hour, then you can convert CFM into cubic metre per hour using the formula below:
1 cubic metre/ hour = 1.699 x 1 CFM.
Empty tank alarm
As the name suggests, empty tank alarm beeps and alerts the user when the water in the water tank goes below a certain level. In order to keep the air cooler operating properly, a certain water level needs to be maintained. Only some high-end air coolers are fitted with this alarm that notifies the user to refill the water tank well in time and protect the air cooler from running out of water completely.
Water tank capacity
Different air coolers come with different water tank capacities. You need to evaluate the size of the room that has to be cooled, in order to decide which cooler to pick. Obviously, the one with a larger water tank can dissipate heat for a longer period of time and would also demand lesser re-fills. The tower and room air coolers fall under the category of personal air coolers and are fit to be used in small to medium-sized rooms while desert air coolers are suitable for cooling larger areas such as living rooms, lobbies, party halls, etc.
- Personal air coolers – 15 to 50 liters
- Desert air coolers – 50 to 100 liters
Water level indicator
Some coolers that have the auto-fill option can easily have its water tank re-filled automatically once the water runs low. However, most of the coolers have to be re-filled manually for which the water level indicator feature plays a vital role. This specifies how much water is left in the air cooler or even lets the user know when the tank is full. So, one can easily maintain the right amount of water in the water tank and can ensure the air cooler to cool efficiently.
Now you no longer need to get out of your bed in order to adjust the settings of the air cooler. The remote control feature has made life easier. It’s very user-friendly and enables you to comfortably operate it in the same way as an AC remote control.
This is an innovative way of dropping the temperature of the water in the water tank by a few degrees and boosting the cooling ability of the air cooler. Some of the latest coolers are fitted with dedicated ice compartments. This ice melts and blends with the water in the water tank thereby cooling the pads and eventually producing chilled air.
The latest air coolers come equipped with castor wheels hence making it portable. This provision makes it quite convenient to wheel the air cooler around wherever necessary. Now, your personal air coolers are not restricted to your rooms only rather you can freely move them around your house be it the living area or some other room. The castor wheels come in two different materials i.e plastic and hard rubber. The plastic ones do not last long whereas the thick rubber ones are here to stay.
Speed control knob
Air coolers are provided with a speed regulator button that enables you to switch between the high, low, or medium speed of the fan of the air cooler. Apart from this speed control option, there is another knob that can turn on/off the swing and a third one that can manage the temperature.
To keep the soaring electricity bills at bay, checking the power rating of an air cooler is a requisite. Higher watts correspond to higher power consumption. So its recommended that one must look for an energy-efficient product that consumes around 150 to 200 watts of power. Air coolers definitely utilize far less energy as compared to air conditioners.
One must always invest in an air cooler from an authentic brand as it issues a warranty and relieves you from additional expense in case of any damage. Even if the warranty expires, genuine brands have excellent after-sales services to offer and they don’t ditch you in time of need. All the air coolers listed above are from trusted brands so you can carefreely choose any of them.
In the process of buying the best air cooler, budget is another one of the essential factors that a person needs to cerebrate. The air coolers are priced at a range from 5000 rupees to 15000 rupees. You can invest in one that suits your pocket. Well, the expensive air coolers do have some added benefits or features that lack in their cheap counterparts.
In order to make your air cooler last for years, it’s always righteous to safeguard it with a warranty. The majority of the manufacturers issue a 1-year warranty. One must also inspect whether the brand you are going to invest in, has a local service center or a dealer as it can prove to be very beneficial for timely repair of the appliance even on the termination of 1-year warranty.
Air coolers are brought to use in peak summers and its also the time when most of the regions in India face power cuts. If you are also one of those who lives in any such area then you must opt for an air cooler that is compatible with inverter. Air coolers are well known for their low energy consumption but the ones that run on inverter utilize even lesser power. You just need to check the capacity of your inverter whether it can support the air cooler or not. So, this way the power failure will also fail to dread you.
Air coolers’ efficacy in varied temperatures
Air coolers provide optimal cooling only if the air humidity is below 50%. With the increase of moisture in the air, the cooling effect of the air cooler decreases. Earlier, air coolers were not advised to be used in highly humid areas but some of the brands like Bajaj and Symphony have solved this problem by introducing “humid control” feature. So, if you are somebody who resides in humid coastal region then you definitely can’t afford to miss this feature.
Let’s not forget that air coolers work perfectly well in dry and hot weather conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do air coolers affect our health?
Since air coolers involve processing the natural air so the doctors also consider them better than the air conditioners. But, at times air coolers increase the humidity which might prove to be harmful for people already residing in humid areas.
How often do the cooling pads need to be changed?
This totally depends upon how well you maintain them. Regular cleanliness of the cooling pads can definitely increase their longevity. Honeycomb cooling pads last longer than the wood wool ones and need to be replaced less frequently. No matter which cooling pads you use but it is generally suggested to change them at least twice a year.
Are the air coolers covered by a warranty?
Yes, air coolers that are manufactured by reliable brands are definitely backed up by a comprehensive warranty of 1-year.
How does an air cooler work?
The working of an air cooler is based on the principle of evaporation. The water from the water tank of the air cooler saturates the cooling pads. The air cooler absorbs the outer warm and dry air and makes it pass through these wet cooling pads, thereby moistening it and dropping its temperature. This cool air is then dispensed out into the room with the help of a powerful fan.
Which is a better option between an air conditioner and an air cooler?
An air conditioner is surely a better option between the two. An air cooler works well as long as the weather is dry but it does not remain as effective in humid conditions, whereas air conditioners can challenge any type of hot and humid environment with ease. The downside of air conditioners is that they are quite expensive as compared to air coolers and also consume much more power. So, if you don’t have any budget constraints then you should definitely opt for an air conditioner otherwise an air cooler is there to save your day.
How effectively do the air coolers work in humid weather conditions?
As long as the air humidity remains below 50%, air coolers continue to provide cooling effect reasonably well. They do become less effective in moderately humid areas but are not at all recommended in highly humid areas. The evaporative air coolers can succeed in lowering the temperature in a humid climate if used outdoors.
How to stop mildew formation?
In order to prevent the air cooler from mildew, one must keep the following tips in mind. Firstly, after every use, it is essential to dry out the cooling pads by just letting the fan run for additional 10-15 minutes. Secondly, adding a bit of vinegar in the water tank can keep the mildew at bay. Thirdly, specialized bacteriostatic water treatment is easily available online which one can purchase.
Do air coolers come with a remote control?
Yes, but the remote control is not available with all the air coolers. There are only a few of them that come with this provision.
How are honeycomb pads different from wood wool pads?
Honeycomb pads differ from aspen wood wool pads in price, durability, power consumption, and water consumption. There is also a major difference in the material that they both are composed of. Honeycomb pads are made up of cellulose material while the others are formed of wood shavings. Wood wool pads consume a lot of water but a lot less energy while honeycomb pads are expensive but much durable than the wood wool pads.
Which one to prefer, a fan air cooler or a blower air cooler?
It depends upon different weather conditions and the size of the area to be cooled. Blower air coolers are apt for cooling areas that are small or medium-sized and since they tend to increase the humidity so they work best in the dry season. On the other hand, fan air coolers can efficiently cool large areas and are suitable for humid weather conditions.
Can an air cooler run on an inverter?
Air coolers can easily run on an inverter but one must ensure whether the inverter is capable enough to support the air cooler or not.
By now you would have been able to fathom out the best air cooler that meets your requirements. So, with the finest product at hand, you don’t have to dread summer anymore rather you can welcome it with open arms next time and enjoy summer beverages comfortably at home.
Please feel free to contact us in case you’re stuck somewhere or would like to enquire about any peculiar detail regarding air coolers. Any additional information is also welcome in the comments below.
Last update on 2021-08-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API